Monday, July 19, 2010

Good Day Sunshine

Last Saturday was our Annivesary.   After watching the weather and hearing it was going to be a hot day- 102, we decided to head for the hills.

I had read there was an art fair in Dillon.  This turned out to be a huge disappointment, very few booths.  We then saw a sign for a wildflower festival with all things celebrating wildflowers in Frisco.  We quickly went to Frisco and after asking at the visitors center we found out it was at the Buffalo Museum.  We strolled down the street.
Every time I go up there I notice more and more pine beetle damage.  If you enlarge the pictures you can see the brown/red trees on the hillside. There are now huge areas where the needles are gone and there is a stand of trunks.  It is heartbreaking. 

We found the buffalo museum.  The wildflower festival turned out to be about 10 paintings hung on a wall and that was it.  We looked at each other and thought gee we came all this way for this?  We had a good laugh and went back out to walk the town.  It was warm but not like it was down in the city.  I found a yarn shop and quickly went inside.  The person minding the store was very unfriendly and almost down right mean.  I did buy some yarn there for a project I want to do for my great niece but was very glad to get out of there.  Greg was next door in a fly fishing shop finding out areas to fish.  Much of the river has been bought around there and is private. 

Greg used to live in Frisco before I met him. The cabin that he rented with another guy was gone. I found a similar one closeby.


                                       
He slept in the lean to in the back, it was smaller than the one in the picture.  There was a seperation in the ceiling where it joined the main house.  The snow would come in through the tar paper there and it was quite cold, he would wake some mornings covered in snow.  He also said in order to get the electricity to work they had to put pennies in the circuit breaker box.  The original cabin was by the river, it has been replaced by expensive homes.  He used to fish for his dinner almost every night right out his back door. 

We went down to the area where the old cabin was.  We found some poppies growing nearby in a vacant area.  There were some mature seedheads so Greg picked a few.  I want to try and start them in our yard, it will be a fun memory.


Walking back through the town I saw this light tucked in a corner and I thought it was pretty interesting. 



              Right before we left I noticed this and it made me laugh         


                                                             

We left the town and headed out to the river.  Greg did some fishing while I did some serious knitting and listened to my audiobook.   We ended the day by sitting on a patio eating dinner, watching the sunset and enjoying a breeze.    

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you guys had a great adventure together. I am also heartbroken when I go up to the mountains and see the beetle kill. No wonder Greg married a knitter with all those chilly memories :) but I'm sure those are good memories, especially the fresh fish! I think your poppies will be a fun memory too.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete