Thursday, August 5, 2010

Breadman Rookie

My sister is moving from a large home to a townhouse.  She is getting rid of almost all of her stuff.  The other day I was over there and saw that her breadman was in the for sale area.  I decided I would buy it and give it a try.  I know these have been popular for a long time.  I have always resisted because I make my bread by hand. 

For my first bread I decided to make multigrain.  I think I bought over twenty dollars worth of different flours including gluten and powdered milk.  I was very excited about the project.  I loaded up all of the ingredients and turned on the machine.  It was great fun watching through the window for awhile and then I was off to do other things.  I heard this squeaky noise coming from the kitchen.  It was the machine.  My sister said she hadn't used it for over 3 years and I was thinking maybe it needed to be oiled or was this normal?   This went on for quite awhile as there are several kneadings on the wheat cycle.  The bread took close to 4 hours to make.  When it beeped 3 times I took out the container, bumped it against the counter and out came a very small loaf of bread.



I looked in the container and saw that the kneading paddle was missing.  It was still in the bread.  I had to perform minor bread surgery to get it out.


I decided to weigh the bread, 2.4lbs.  The other end of the bread was a little concave.



Very dense, you needed two hands to pick up one slice- ok just kidding. 



It had great flavor. 

I did call my sister last night and asked if I could speak to the returns department.  She quickly laughed and said she would consider a 20 percent discount on my item.
I went to the library and ordered three books on making bread in the machine.
 I am hopefull I will figure this out.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, this is so you! I know how you love "special" garage sales. And a new cooking experience. You still have to make pecan/cinnamon rolls the old fashion way! Boy do I miss you!

    ReplyDelete